Eilat, Israel’s southernmost city, located at the tip of the Red Sea, and the region of Hevel Eilot (the strip of Kibbutzim surrounding the urban area of Eilat), cover 13% of the land in the State of Israel; but only 2% of the population of Israel lives in this region. Due to their remote geographic location, far from the urban centers and the subsequent professional opportunities of central Israel, both communities suffer from single-dimensional employment environments, a lack of educational opportunities, and services that often are not comparable to those available to residents of the center of the country. Indeed, the city of Eilat can and should become a vibrant university town, a center of academic excellence, flourishing intellectualism, and social and economic opportunity.
Committed to the advancement of the region on all levels, UJA Federation of Greater Toronto has partnered with Eilat and Eilot for nearly two decades, supporting successful initiatives that have empowered the area and its residents.
There are five components to UJA Federation’s strategy in Eilat and Eilot all with the common goal of strengthening and transforming the region into a centre of opportunity.
Investing in Higher Education
- Creating a diverse community of students and academics by offering scholarships and stipends to ensure that every student is exposed to opportunities for higher education.
- Developing a student community by building dormitories.
- Encouraging strong social networks by ensuring that all students volunteer in the community.
Investing in the Educational System
- Bolstering the educational system in Eilat so that it becomes one of the best in the country.
- Increasing access to formal and informal educational opportunities for Eilat’s most vulnerable students and for its most gifted youth, ensuring that educational support and enrichment services match those available in central Israel.
Investing in Renewable Energy
- Empowering the leaders of Eilat and Eilot to harness the region’s vast natural assets – land and sun – in order to transform it into a global leader in renewable energy development and technology.
- Supporting research and development in Solar Energy.
- Branding the region as Israel’s “Green Region,” through investments in environmental education, research and development.
Investing in Career Development Services
- Providing vocational training services that retrain low-skilled Eilat residents for high-skilled employment opportunities.
- Enticing highly skilled workers to Eilat by increasing job opportunities.
Investing in Healthcare
- Creating a world-class emergency room at Josephtal Hospital in Eilat.
- Offering special incentives to attract talented medical professionals to Eilat.
Partnership 2000 activity update Summer 2010