Throughout Israel's history, Canadian Jewry has always been one of Israel’s most staunch supporters. In 1967, the Jewish federations of Canada - UIA was established. Jewish federations of Canada - UIA strategically invests in and oversees the implementation of programs and projects and plays an integral role in the ever-deepening bond between Canadian Jews and Israelis. Jewish federations of Canada - UIA represents Canada’s 15 Jewish Federations and communities who touch the lives of hundreds of thousands of Israelis each and every day.
Canadian Jewry has invested over a billion dollars in Israel over the past 40 years.
- Canadian Jewry donates approx. 60 million dollars each year.
- Over 80 annual missions and thousands of Canadians visit Israel every year
- 3 million immigrants from 72 countries came home to Israel with our support
- Canadian Jewry has been pivotal in the establishment of over 260 projects and programs in 85 communities throughout Israel.
Jewish federations of Canada - UIA focuses its efforts in Israel's geographic and socio-economic periphery, from the northern most city of Metulla all the way to the southern tip of Eilat. However, we believe that it is not enough to simply develop human capital through education. Something more is necessary: a concerted effort to build communities and develop social capital on a broader level and the positive migration of individuals, families and communities.
Our activities are based on three main strategic areas of focus:
- Education - Supporting educational programs from early childhood to higher education, ranging from youth at risk to educational excellence programs.
- Capacity Building - Supporting the settlement of young people to strengthen peripheral communities and lead them to new achievements, whereby effecting demographic change in Israel’s social and geographic periphery.
- Social Welfare – Investing in weaker populations with emphasis on special need & disabled populations, the elderly and new immigrants from Ethiopia and the CIS.
The UIA works in conjunction with leading business figures and companies in Israel. Through these partnerships we are playing a leading role in the development of Israeli philanthropy and at the same time assuring project continuity.
Today, Jewish federations of Canada - UIA is shaping the direction of the Canada-Israel connection in the 21st century. Its goal is to ensure a meaningful, vibrant relationship between the Canadian Diaspora and the People of Israel through dialogue and interaction, in order to build a better future for the Jewish People.